Magellan Spacecraft Simulation
This application demonstrates combination of MoM and physical optics approach (PO) on simulations of electrically large problems. Magellan spacecraft is fed by horn pattern at frequency 3 GHz. Simulations are performed using PO solution.
- At the first step, far field pattern of a horn antenna is accurately modeled with MoM
- On the second step, far field pattern of the horn antenna is used as a specialized incident field source, and calculation of the currents on spacecraft geometry is done using PO approach
- On the third step, spacecraft is calculated and analyzed
Magellan Spacecraft Geometry
- Number of triangles 63,793
- Magellan spacecraft length is 35.2 m
- Magellan spacecraft width is 15 m
Design of Horn Antenna
The optimum parameters of the horn antenna for parabolic reflector were chosen. These parameters depend on ratio of parabolic reflector focus to diameter, which is 0.93.
Computational Model of Horn Antenna
Current distribution on Magellan spacecraft is shown below for 3 GHz frequency;
- F.G. Bogdanov, R.G. Jobava, D.D. Karkashadze, I.S. Oganezova SATELLITE ANTENNA SIMULATIONS USING COMBINATION OF INTEGRAL EQUATIONS AND PHYSICAL OPTICS APPROACHES (International Scientific Conference ‘Advanced Lightweight Structures and Reflector Antennas’)